Monday, May 9, 2011

In 50 Years :)

Hi my name is Yessica Karina Gordillo. I go by Yessica. I am a freshman in college about to finish her first year. I am Jennifer Hicks student who attends Cal State Los Angeles. Jenny has been my teacher for three quarters, starting from fall quarter. I am in the stretch program. Through out my three quarters we have been studying about the environment. As of now I am in English 101 which I can say is challenging for me . I have trouble writing essays. I have really enjoyed being in Jenny's class. I have learned new things about the environment by reading other stories.
In the winter quarter we were assigned to read Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler to tell you the truth i wasn't happy about reading this book at first. I just kept looking at the book and thought to myself it is pretty long its going to be boring. I don't like reading that much. The only two series I have read were turned into movies. One of them has been a huge franchise for ten years, and the other one was turned into a movie last year. Things changed when I started reading the book and as chapter by chapter went by I wanted to continue reading because I wanted to see what happened to the main character of the story Lauren as she continue to live her life; after what happened to her family and also about the new religion she made Earthseed. This book has a lot of issues with environment and even thought the book is set to be in the future, it reminds me some problems that the environment of today has. For example the problem with pollution, today there is a lot of pollution all over the world.

I see my self in fifty years to be an old woman, who the world will still have the same problems with the environment as it has today in 2011. In my opinion i think the world is not going to change because i don't see any change myself today in terms of the environment. It makes me wonder if we will end like people of the parable of the sower or in much worse conditions that they were. One thing that we have in common with the book is the shortage of water and us buying water, twenty years ago there wasn't a need to buy water. Everyone needs water to survive and some animals are dying like in the lakes because we take that water for human use and to me that is not right; animals deserve the right to live too.
People don't still get that all of those chemicals that factories cause get absorbed in the air and we breath those chemicals. The book is a dystopian fiction because of all the problems with people and the environment. We have to take care of earth because it is our home and a place we can enjoyed with our families. Who now's maybe in fifty years we will end up living in space like in the movie Wall-e not all fat and living in chairs and someone has to take care of us but living in space because we cant live in earth because of all the pollution. We really have to change now the way we treat the environment if we want our future descendants to have a better place than we have right now. We have to apreciate what god gave us. We have to find a way that people can use so they can mistreat water or the environment. I have always wonder what life is going to be in fifty years. I guess we will find out soon.
Yessica

No comments:

Post a Comment